04 October 2010

Affordable Fashion...really?!

Needless to say, I get alot of fashion magazines, and read alot of blogs, follow a couple I really like, and spend hours I should be working looking at street style photos, lookbook.nu, chictopia.com, etc.  And unlike some less devoted readers views, I actually ALWAYS read all the info that goes with the posts and articles to see what make the look, and where these pieces come from. 

Here's the thing..."fashion" is all about the designer and the construction, about each individual piece.  This is why I honestly believe sometimes designer's collections aren't cohesive, but are filled with beautiful, individual pieces.  Fashion is about an item, the "it" of the season.  It's about the placement of a zipper, or the finish on a button, the asymmetry of a hemline.  The details change constantly, sometimes subtlety, and true devotees will notice.  This happens just like seeing something new in the eyes of a long-time lover, allowing you to fall in love over and over again.  I adore this about fashion...the details are what allow it to keep evolving, and what keep it interesting.  And though I truly love it - don't get me wrong - fashion is different than image, than an overall look.  Your image, that look that makes you you, is something else, something larger.  Image isn't about the latest collection, a certain designer, or that one perfect piece.  If I had to put it a way, I would say "fashion" is the trees, but image is the "forest".  Everyone knows if you "can't see the forest for the trees" you have to seriously reevaluate. 

The idea here is that fashion can be limiting...if you don't have the money or that perfect piece, you may not be on the cutting edge of fashion.  So what?  Because the truth it, your image is about the overall look you generate, not when you purchased your clothing.  I am always surprised at what is sometimes considered "affordable fashion" by bloggers, writers, magazine editors, taste makers, and the like.  I am going to be making several posts, all of which will tell exactly what I am wearing, from where and how much it cost.  I think it will be surprising.  You will just have to excuse my lack of a photographer...

No comments:

Post a Comment